We use cookies to optimise the design and performance of our websites. By continuing to browse this website, you agree to the use of cookies. Find out more about our cookies and how we use them.

Insurance & Expenses


You will have to pay the following fees when arriving at emlyon business school.

Student French Social Security

It concerns the government health insurance.

  • European students
    Students who belong to the European Economic Space (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, United Kingdom, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden) can be exempted + Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.

Therefore, you must provide, either you stay 3 months or more the European Card (Carte Européenne d’Assurance Maladie) which covers you for the entire length of your stay in France.

If this document is missing on the arrival at emlyon business school, you will definitely have to sign up for the Sécurité Sociale Etudiante française. In this case, you will have to provide an Official Birth Certificate, with its French translation.

  • International students (coming from outside the European Union)

Stay less than 3 months

You will have to be covered by a private insurance. An official document, including the detailed list of the following incurred risks: accident, medical care, hospitalisation, repatriation, third-party liability, attached with the official French/English translation, will have to be presented to the Student Support department.

If the student is staying less than 3 months, no need to register the French social security insurance (sécurité sociale). It’s students’ responsibility to report to emlyon business school Student Affairs office that they will stay at emlyon business school for less than 3 months and do not need to register the French social security insurance (sécurité sociale).

- Stay more than 3 months

International students (excepts UE/EEE/Switzerland nationals) who register for the first time in a French Higher Institution for 3 months and more than 3 months have to register to the general social security CPAM through a dedicated website (available in English and French): www.etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr (open from September 2018).

Specific cases: Andorra, Monaco, Québec.

Complementary health insurance

It is possible to sign up for a complementary health insurance through the LMDE or SMERRA centers. This insurance will allow you to get a better refund of expensive medical cares: dental care, specialists,….

Third-party liability

It concerns insurance in case you cause damage to a third-party. If you are not insured against this risk in your own country, you could be insured upon arrival at emlyon business school through the Mutuelle St Christophe Insurance Company (10 € in 2015/2016).

Student card

In order to obtain your Student Card, you must have validated your registration file. That means, your health insurance coverage must be paid and that all the documents required by the Registrar Office must be provided.
This card cannot be delivered if one of these elements is missing.

Additional expenses

A minimum amount of nearly €900 per month is necessary to live in Lyon (rent, rental expenses, transport, food,…).

News all news & events

Meet Timea, future student of the MSc in Management - European Triple Degree – Grande Ecole

Timea, a future student of the 2018 intake of the MSc in Management - European Triple Degree - Grand...

Bookmark Email Print